Saturday, May 25, 2013

Making scenery: Artillery Shell Holes (Part 1)

Today I set out ot make some extra scenery for the table and this time I opted to go with something simple with materials on hand: artillery shell holes.

Items I will use:
Sculpty Clay
Old CD bases
Making Tape
Sand
White glue
Glue gun and sticks
Apple Barrel Paints

I also bought a pack of the dead farm animals from Warlord Games and made a rubber cast using a kit I bought a few months back. Overall it worked ok except some of the legs didn't cast very well, but on the other hand as they was near where an artillery shell I would not be shocked if they didn't lose a limb or two from the blast of a shell going off near it. My wife thinks I am weird but hey it was what happened back then.

I took a CD base and figured out how to lay the animals around the edge and then I estimated how big the shell hole was to be. I made sure you could place one figure inside the shell hole as well. Once I had the circle done I repeated this until I was out of sculpty.


Example of a figure in the middle.

Dead animals around the edges.

Then, the clay was baked in the oven at 275 for about 25 minutes to get firm, the type of sculpty I bought was the type that stays soft until you bake it in the oven. It was cheaper and just what I needed to ensure I got everything right.


Bakers dozen scenery!

After they cooled down I will glue them to the CD base with a hot glue gun. Sty tuned for part 2!



No comments:

Post a Comment